Gavin Newsom Signals Support for Paramount Settlement Talks in Antitrust Suit
Governor Gavin Newsom Weighs in on Paramount-Warner Bros. Merger Dispute
California Governor Gavin Newsom has expressed his support for settlement talks in the antitrust suit challenging the Paramount-Warner Bros. merger. Newsom’s comments come after a report by The Wall Street Journal stated that the governor was concerned about the potential consequences of the suit on employment in California.
During a press appearance in San Francisco, Newsom referenced remarks made by California Attorney General Rob Bonta earlier in the week, stating, ‘I was appreciative, I think this week, earlier this week, you heard the attorney general himself say he’d prefer this settled in the boardroom, not the courtroom.’
Newsom emphasized that talks were already underway to determine a way forward for the parties involved. ‘That’s a process that’s unfolding, I assure you, in real time,’ he said. ‘I know there are many meetings that are going on and there’s a lot of conversation about what that could look like, but the attorney general is not just representing the state of California, he’s also part of this coalition with a dozen other states.’
When asked about a recent threat made by Paramount Skydance CEO David Ellison to take one or two of Hollywood’s remaining historic studios out of California if the antitrust suit isn’t resolved by October, Newsom stated, ‘We’re hoping that doesn’t happen. And I’m of the belief that they don’t want to see that happen. It’s not, I don’t think, in the company’s long-term interest, but I take it seriously.’
Newsom added that he was talking to people on all sides of the debate, given the stakes for California. ‘I’m very mindful of what this means to the state, I’m concerned about the state, our reputation,’ the governor said.
His support for settlement talks puts him in the same camp as Xavier Becerra, the Democratic candidate for California governor in this year’s elections. It also aligns him with L.A. Mayor Karen Bass, who expressed her desire for both parties to ‘come to the table’ and ‘work urgently to find common ground’ on Thursday.
The Paramount-Warner Bros. merger has been met with opposition from several states, including California, which is leading the antitrust suit. The suit argues that the merger would harm competition and lead to higher prices for consumers.
The governor’s comments on the matter have sparked a heated debate about the future of the film industry in California. Some have argued that the merger would be beneficial for the state, while others have expressed concerns about the potential consequences.
As the talks between the parties continue, it remains to be seen whether a settlement can be reached. However, Newsom’s support for settlement talks suggests that the governor is open to finding a solution that benefits all parties involved.
Key Takeaways:
- Governor Gavin Newsom has expressed his support for settlement talks in the antitrust suit challenging the Paramount-Warner Bros. merger.
- Newsom’s comments come after a report by The Wall Street Journal stated that the governor was concerned about the potential consequences of the suit on employment in California.
- The talks between the parties continue, with the governor’s support for settlement talks suggesting that he is open to finding a solution that benefits all parties involved.