Indonesia Quake: Death Toll Rises to 47 as Rescue Teams Search for Survivors
Indonesia Earthquake Leaves Trail of Destruction and Loss of Life
On the island of Flores in eastern Indonesia, a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck on Saturday, leaving a trail of destruction and loss of life in its wake. The disaster has resulted in at least 47 fatalities, with over 100 people injured and thousands displaced.
The National Disaster Management Agency reported that at least 24 people died in Manggarai regency, with 17 fatalities in neighboring East Manggarai. Additional fatalities have been reported in Sikka, Ngada, and Ende regencies. Rescue teams are still searching for villagers feared buried beneath landslides triggered by the quake in six regencies on Flores.
Flores, a predominantly Catholic island in Muslim-majority Indonesia, is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions due to its location on the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire.’ The USGS reported that the earthquake struck 68 kilometers north-northwest of Ende in East Nusa Tenggara province, at a depth of approximately 10 kilometers off the coast of Flores.
The disaster agency stated that the quake destroyed over 900 homes and damaged nearly 450 more, forcing about 5,000 people into temporary shelters. Thousands more spent the night outdoors, fearing strong aftershocks. At least 167 public facilities, including schools, health centers, and churches, were also damaged.
Relief workers have begun distributing rice, ready-to-eat meals, drinking water, blankets, and medicine, while emergency shelters are being set up for displaced residents. Authorities said restoring electricity and communications as well as delivering aid to remote villages isolated by landslides remain among the biggest challenges.
The quake also struck Labuan Bajo, the gateway to Komodo National Park, one of Indonesia’s best-known tourist destinations. Landslides blocked sections of the Trans-Flores Highway, a roughly 700-kilometer road linking communities across the mountainous island.
Many residents continued to sleep outside rather than risk returning to damaged homes. ‘The shaking was terrifying, so intense that my house nearly collapsed,’ said Anastasia Imad, a farmer in Labuan Bajo, speaking from a makeshift green tent beside her damaged home. ‘We feared the aftershocks would bring it down on us while we slept.’
Rescue teams resumed searches on Sunday in areas that had remained inaccessible since the quake, particularly in Manggarai, East Manggarai, and Nagekeo regencies.
‘We have cleared most landslides and reopened roads to previously isolated villages, although communication disruptions and power outages continue to hamper search efforts,’ said Fathur Rahman, head of the Search and Rescue Office in Maumere, the capital of Sikka regency.
He stated that rescuers were focusing on searching the rubble of collapsed homes and other buildings for possible victims.
Indonesia, an archipelago of over 17,000 islands, is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions due to its location on the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire.’ Flores has experienced some of the country’s deadliest disasters, including a powerful earthquake and tsunami in 1992 that killed approximately 2,500 people on the island.
In 2018, a magnitude 7.5 earthquake triggered a tsunami on Sulawesi that killed over 4,400 people. In 2004, a magnitude 9.1 quake off Sumatra unleashed a tsunami that killed approximately 230,000 people in a dozen countries.
Associated Press writers Niniek Karmini and Edna Tarigan in Jakarta, Indonesia, contributed to this report.
The people of Indonesia are resilient and determined to rebuild their lives in the aftermath of this devastating earthquake.
Key Statistics:
- At least 47 fatalities
- Over 100 people injured
- Thousands displaced
- Over 900 homes destroyed
- Nearly 450 homes damaged
- At least 167 public facilities damaged
The international community is coming together to provide aid and support to the people of Indonesia in this time of need.