Somali Pirates Hijack Oil Tanker Off Yemen in Latest Attack
Resurgence of Piracy in the Gulf of Aden
Somali pirates have hijacked an oil products tanker off the coast of Yemen, marking a resurgence in piracy in the region. The incident occurred on Thursday, when six armed pirates hijacked the Eritrean-flagged M.T. Sibu 1, approximately 136 nautical miles east of al-Mukalla, Yemen.
The tanker, managed by the UAE-based Qatrat Alnada Almasi Ship Management, was sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury Department last year for allegedly belonging to an Iranian ‘shadow fleet’ used to transport petroleum products seeking to evade U.S. sanctions.
The Sibu 1 had 20 crew members aboard, including 16 Indians, one Syrian, one Sudanese, and one Iraqi. The nationality of one crew member was not immediately known. The vessel’s previous port of departure and intended destination remained unclear.
Recent Piracy Incidents
This is the sixth commercial vessel hijacked by Somali pirates since April 21, when the Palau-flagged tanker Honor 25 was seized off Somalia. Pirates later seized the Sward on April 26, the Eureka on May 2, the Asana on July 17, and the Lutuf on August 17.
The attacks have occurred increasingly far from Somalia’s coastline, including the hijacking of the Eureka while anchored off Yemen and the Asana about 65 nautical miles southwest of al-Mukalla.
The International Maritime Bureau recorded 38 piracy and armed robbery incidents worldwide during the first half of 2026, including five hijackings. Somali pirates accounted for 94% of crew members taken hostage during that period.
Puntland’s Response
Puntland’s Security Ministry said that its investigations indicated that forces beyond Puntland’s control were behind the renewed piracy. However, the ministry did not identify any group or country.
Puntland has deployed security forces along its coast and condemned airstrikes that it said struck fishing vessels and property near coastal communities where hijacked ships were being held. It called on the countries involved to explain strikes near Garacad on August 18 and August 20.
The ministry did not identify who carried out the strikes, and the allegations could not be independently confirmed.