Trump Declares ‘Economic Warfare’ Against Iran Amid Stalled Diplomatic Efforts
President Trump Unleashes Economic Fury Against Iran
On the night of August 19, President Donald Trump announced a significant escalation of the United States’ economic pressure campaign against Iran, declaring ‘economic warfare’ against the country in a social media statement.
The move comes as diplomatic efforts to end the war between the two nations have stalled, with competing demands concerning the Strait of Hormuz at the center of the dispute.
According to the President, the new economic measures will target financial institutions, businesses, airports, and government entities that provide any form of support to Iran.
Trump stated that these entities will face ‘tremendous economic consequences,’ although he did not elaborate further on what specific measures would be taken.
‘Oil smuggling, swap lines, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries, front companies – it all needs to stop now,’ the President declared.
He called on all U.S. allies to work with Washington to isolate Iran, stating that the country is ‘on the ropes’ and that the new measures will ‘cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide.’
The announcement came hours after Trump told reporters at the White House that there are more sanctions the United States could impose on Iran.
‘Well, we have things that we could sanction,’ he said. ‘We have very draconian sanctions and we’ll see what happens.’
The President has long relied on economic pressure as a means to coerce Iran, launching his maximum pressure campaign of sanctions and other punitive measures against Tehran after unilaterally withdrawing the United States from an Obama-era multinational accord aimed at preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Since then, Iran has gradually reduced its compliance with the nuclear accord, and the two nations have been engaged in a bitter dispute over the Strait of Hormuz, with the United States seeking to restore freedom of navigation through the important energy route and Iran seeking to retain the leverage it gained by restricting passage through the strait.
The U.S. military campaign, Operation Epic Fury, which began on February 28 and ended on May 5, was part of the broader war efforts, and the Treasury has since folded its sanctions efforts into a campaign called Economic Fury.
The announcement of the new economic measures has sent shockwaves through the global markets, with U.S. stocks falling as rising bond yields and oil prices spook investors.
A recent incident in the Hormuz Strait, in which a crew on a ship sustained a casualty after the vessel was struck, has further escalated tensions between the two nations.
Earlier in the day, Trump also stated that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has responded to his request for talks, although the details of the response were not disclosed.